
On Wednesday, Mrs Smith told us that we were going to watch this documentary called Manufacturing Consent about Noam Chomsky, I wasn't really interested. First of all, I had no idea who this Noam Chomsky guy was and the title did not sound exciting. But since Mrs Smith was being so nice, I decided to pay attention. Before I go on about the video, let me tell you this. For some weird reason, war stories interests me a lot..
So once the movie started, unsurprisingly, the whole section about the East Timor and Cambodia genocide really caught my attention. Being the ignorant girl that I am, I had no idea that such a horrible thing happened to such a peaceful country. It reminded me much of my homeland. Like East Timor, Singapore is also a very small island with a large population with many different dialects. They are also both independent nations. The documentary also carried on about how the genocide in Cambodia that roughly happened around the same time had more coverage in the United States. While watching that, tears were slowly forming. I was dismayed that such a big newspaper company like the New York Times would cover up most of the facts that were happening back then. I'm sure that if the New York Times was to give all of us back then all the straight information and facts, much more action would have been taken to help the people of East Timor.
This video has impacted me in many ways. I've come to find myself really interested in this documentary. I believe that Noam Chomsky is a man of many opinions and I want to thank him for pointing it out to me that this country is hiding so much information from us. It's about time that they open up and tell us the truth.
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Asia/GenocideEastTimor_Z.html
No comments:
Post a Comment